No movement in sport has been studied, discussed, dissected and debated more than the golf swing. Why would a movement that lasts between 0.8 and 1.5 seconds command so much attention? The answer…. all golfers seek and want to achieve success, break 100, 90, 80 or 70 and lower their handicaps!
Internet searches on Google using the words “Golf swing” generated 30 million links within seconds. A more refined search using the terms “Head” and “Spine angle” reduces the number to 8.5 million… still a substantial number.
Detailed research of these links suggests that the successful golf stroke, (the result of a successful backswing, downswing, strike and follow through) is dependent on the following foundations:
· The position at impact (ball contact) should resemble the posture at set up.
· A steady centre around which the shoulders rotate.
· A consistent spine angle throughout the swing and at impact.
· Persistent focus on the ball throughout and essentially when the club makes contact with the ball.
· A steady and level head with limited lateral, vertical and horizontal movement.
It is notable that the successful golf stroke is not dependent on the technological advancement of clubs and balls. In fact despite the much hyped and well marketed technological advances in golf equipment, handicaps and average scores have changed little or not at all over the last 40 years.
What is the solution?
ACUSTRIKER, The simple secret to great golf.
I have developed an uncomplicated and proven training aid that addresses the fundamental, foundational elements of the successful golf stroke by:
· Limiting lateral, vertical and horizontal head and shoulder movement.
· Ensuring a steady centre around which the shoulders and trunk rotate.
· Maintaining the spine angle set at address, throughout the swing and at impact.
· Ensuring one keeps one’s eyes on the ball throughout the swing.
· Ensuring that one witnesses the club face contacting the ball at impact.
Being independent of the golfer, club and ball, my device in no way inhibits one’s movement or flexibility, encouraging the natural development of muscle memory. My training aid provides instant visual feedback and has received positive reviews from teaching professionals and golfers who have used it. It also provides a practical means for performing the drills suggested by leading golf coaches.